Saturday, August 26, 2017

Hurricane Harvey: Day 1 - Day 3

355_rain

So far Hurricane Harvey has dumped A LOT of rain on us. And I do mean A LOT, and it's only Saturday. It's only Saturday, and they say the rain will not stop until sometime on Wednesday.

Luckily - knock on wood - since we're farther north the winds haven't been a big deal and we have had a few lulls in the rain. That does help, not only with the creeks around here but with taking our furbabies outside.

They still say we're supposed to get up to 30 inches of rain. I'm hoping it'll be a lot less.

The neighbor's cattle don't seem to mind the rain so much yet, although some of them are a little vocal. The donkeys however are NOT happy campers. They never did like the rain, so you can only imagine how they feel over all this. The poor things don't even have a barn to go to.

That has always bothered me. Our neighbor takes really good care of his cattle, so it's beyond me why they don't at least have a shed to stand under. I guess he figures all those trees on his property serve as enough to protect them.

I'm pretty sure the other neighbor's donkeys are standing inside their barn. They always hang out in there when it rains.

ben

Isn't that picture cute?

I just learned that this is my cousin's dog, Ben. Since my cousin lives in a trailer right now, and since he and his brother will end up being so busy restoring power to people after this storm passes, my aunt is taking care of Ben.

Ben is a hunting dog, so he isn't house trained or coddled. He's basically just a hunter. Since he couldn't stay in the house, my aunt made him a cozy bed beneath her large car port. He's been really content - and dry - in there.

Posted below are the pics and video I've managed to snap so far. They are really poor quality. I had to edit the heck out of them because the camera was so fogged up from the humidity.

I think it's so funny that even the squirrel and little hummingbirds are still out in this weather. A lot of the birds are still eating seed at the feeder, but there are a few that are trying - unsuccessfully - to stay dry beneath the roof of our craft building. I don't know why they don't just go into the barn.

As for myself, I just want to remain in the 21st century by way of keeping the power and plumbing working. A camping type of gal I am NOT!

535

image

image

image

image



image

image

image

image



image

image

image



I think it is so hilarious that all the adult cows, including the bull, are following THE BABIES. So cute!

image

image

image

image

image

UPDATES

hurricane

Well, it's now 4:30 pm and the wind is picking up.

leaf

And now it's 9pm and we just got an alert on our phone. It said our street is flooded.

Our guess is that it's further down the road, where it always floods when it rains. There’s a little bridge over a creek there. Months ago they had to rebuild the bridge, but of course... they were dumb by not making it a higher bridge. It’s a really small area, so it’s ridiculous that they did it the way they did.

I’m really hoping the flooding won’t come this far. I gotta say, it is pretty windy out there now and it’s been pouring nonstop. This is supposed to last through to Wednesday, so I am a little worried. God! We had better keep our electricity and plumbing!!! But still, my fingers are crossed that we’ll be fine.

I can’t wait for this damned bloke named Harvey to scoot along.

515-16-_Sweetly_Scrapped
day_2

255_rain_2

It's 7:30 am now and whoa.... did it ever POUR last night. It was windy, too. They say we've received 18 inches of rain in total so far and can expect 20 inches more.

I'm a little shocked we haven't flooded at all yet. I think our house is pretty high up. I knew we were oh a hill, but with all the woods surrounding us I just can't see it for myself.

leaf

rainy

The owner of the house next door called, asking about our street and her two donkeys. We told her the house is fine, and the girls - which we named "Anna" and "Elsa" - are fine as well. They've pretty much just been keeping dry in their barn.

harvey_anna_elsa

When the rain slowed down some Mom went next door to feed the girls some carrots. They were HUNGRY! "Elsa" put the entire carrot in her mouth. The poor things weren't left any hay or anything like that in their little shed, and they hate walking around and grazing in all this rain, so of course they haven't been eating much.

When this weather turns nice again we're going to get some treats for both sets of donkeys. All four of them never have liked the rain and they've been real troopers during all this.

I just saw that our area has received 22.4 inches of rain so far. About 20 inches more are on the way. Luckily, we've had a nice lull in that rain this afternoon. Last night it was very windy and the rain was like a nonstop gushing waterfall. I mean it never once abated. It was insane.

We discovered that the areas we used to live in are really trapped by flooding. I wouldn't be at all surprised if two of our old houses - in Pearland and then Houston - were flooded.

pearland

houston

With every house we've lived in we ALWAYS make sure it isn't in a flood plain, but with the rain this storm has brought... it's pretty unpredictable.

I don't see us flooding at all here. I just hope we get to keep our electricity and plumbing!!!! I'm also worried about the few trees that we do have.
They say after this storm returns to the Gulf, it's going to CIRCLE BACK!!!! umno

leaf

ahoy

So now it's 4 pm. I'm stuck indoors so here's more rambling. blah

This is the view in our front yard.

front_harvey_600

And here's the view of around our gazebo.

gazebo_harvey_600

As you can see, we're still fortunate in regard to flooding. It's a muddy BOG out there, and I'm 1,000% positive that the snakes will be coming around, but at least we won't be under water.

The ditch in front of our house was starting to flood, but we think that was happening because one of the neighbors wasn't clearing the debris in front of his house. To remedy the situation, Dad went out there to clear it himself.

I just watched a short video from Junk Gypsies. The video is on their Facebook Page HERE. It's the one titled "Texas Fire Ants..."

Here's a screen cap from the video, of their back pasture and the fire ants.

jg_harvey

Isn't that wild?! I hope their farm animals will be okay. I figured they would have some flooding there in Round Top. (Round Top is about 20 minutes away, and Warrenton is even closer).

Parts of our area, around La Grange, are under mandatory evacuation today but that's to be expected because those areas are around the Colorado River.

Unfortunately, they now say this rain is supposed to last through THURSDAY instead of Wednesday. And of course they also say it's likely to circle back around after it returns to the Gulf.

I feel so bad for all the animals out there without shelter. I know they're miserable. cow

leaf

More pics, at 5 pm, because quite frankly I'm a tad bored and can't upload more videos until next week:

driveway_harvey_500

back_harvey_600

wheres_anna_and_elsa_harvey_600

You can barely make out one of the donkeys huddled in the right hand corner of the shed.

bldng_harvey_500

I think little Abigail is getting annoyed with me. woofpup

She wants to play fetch outside with her favorite pet rock. She just can't figure out why we haven't played her favorite game for days now.

515-16-_Sweetly_Scrapped

day_3

bessie-collins-pease

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

I know I’ve wanted rain for months now, but this is nutty. Thank God we’re all fine. We still have electricity and plumbing – knock on wood – and only our ditch has started filling up since yesterday. It’s slow-moving, but I’m not worried.

We have been so incredibly fortunate. There are people out there that have lived in the same house for 30 years, surviving their fair share of hurricanes and storms, and not once have they flooded.... until now.

Seeing the devastation all around, it makes me wish we had a boat so that we could help in rescuing people and animals.

We would like to go to the store, for a few supplies, but we’re not chancing it. The Colorado river is over there, and more rain is expected and we’ve seen bad flooding there before. Parts of those areas were under mandatory evacuation yesterday anyway.

I’m pretty sure we can live without milk for a few days, and thank goodness we found some more doggy diapers for Maddie should she run out of hers.

This morning, a little bit before 6:30 am, Abby wanted out. So I took her outside, and instead of following her usual routine of going in her favorite spot, she decides to go to the other side of the yard. (Looking for a dry spot I suppose).

400_pups

So it’s pitch black outside, it’s raining, and I now have to get the flashlight and follow her while I look out for snakes.

When we finally got inside, the poor dog was shivering and wet. (Although I’ve been using her winter coat as her raincoat, so that did help). To warm her up I put a towel in the dryer for a bit. I ended up wrapping her in that warm towel, just as we do after she gets a bath, and all was well.

We snuggled for about 20 minutes, and once she was warm she asked to go back under the bed to go back to sleep.

Around 8:30 or 9 am I fed the birds and took these photos. As you can see, we’re still A-okay. At least we now know what our area can handle in terms of rainfall.

I would love to see an aerial drone video of our area though. I’m really curious to see how it is around the creeks. One section of our road is closed, due to a creek, but on our end we’re fine.

Also, people are still using HWY 77 next to our house. People have been using it since the day before Harvey made landfall.

cattle_day_3_600

froggy_day_3

road_day_3_600

hb_day_3_500

sidewalk_day_3_600

house_day_3_600

road2_day_3_600

driveway_day_3_600

cows_day_3_600

I gotta say something. I just logged on to a local tv station on Facebook and I saw this post:

"But according to trump supporters they should help themselves and they shouldn't have to give their money to people who need it. #Trumpsupporterlogic"

boo

TICKED ME OFF!!!! Do they not give a damn about what those people are going through? I finally replied with this:

I am not about to argue with a person as ignorant as this individual, but I think it's important to mention that Trump Supporters/Texans/Decent Human Beings (no matter their political affiliation) have no objections to helping people in desperate times. What they object to is paying for people’s livelihoods when they are perfectly capable of doing it themselves, or of paying for their countless abortions because they refuse to accept personal responsibility for their own actions, etc.

Texans like to take care of themselves, and help one other. We’re not like California, spouting one minute that we want to secede and be self-governing, but the moment a dam breaks they’re screaming for assistance from Vile America.

This is basically a once in 1,000 year event. One year's worth of rain in under a week. Let’s leave blatantly incorrect assumptions and politics out of this, and instead focus on the most immediate, pressing needs of these poor people (and animals). We are the UNITED States after all.

As for donations, I would personally use The Salvation army. My brother does advertising work for charities, and I know you can find the legitimate charities listed on the charity navigator website.


leaf

God, how I hate people sometimes! gah Usually I ignore them, but not this time. I probably shouldn't have even brought up California or abortion, but I wanted to give an example. I've already received some hate, but I really don't care. I honestly don't value their opinion. I wasn't the one to bring up politics. I was the one RESPONDING to someone that brought up politics - which I am seeing a lot of on the news anyway - and defending the truth. This just isn't the time for that crap. I am so tired of constantly hearing this trash talk and not responding.

Anyway....

I doubt I'll be posting anymore pics here, etc. It's always the same. I'm just glad all the family and friends are safe. (In Austin, College Station, Spring/Woodlands, and Pearland). Our phone service is spotty today, but hopefully we won't lose it altogether.

Wow. I just read that the Colorado River in La Grange is at its highest point since 1913.

I also just saw another video JUNK GYPSY posted of Round Top; the land near their store. Man, they are flooded! All that farmland looks like a big lake.

Thankfully, it's a teensy-tiny town. More cattle than humans. The population is something like 90, and they can still get out if they need to.

leaf

rest

- It's 3 pm now and it hasn't rained for 2 hours. Hooray!

A few of the neighbor’s cattle have been taking a rest, enjoying a break from the rain. The cattle behind us really have seemed unaffected by all this. The donkeys hate it, but the cattle seem oblivious.

Although the cattle across the street from us aren’t too happy. They’ve been pretty vocal, but that’s pretty normal for them.

- Found this video of La Grange.



The bridge you see at the 30 second mark is the bridge we take to go grocery shopping. They predict that the Colorado River in La Grange will reach 51 or 53 feet today, and the flood level was 28 feet.

I've seen a couple of videos of downtown La Grange. It's definitely flooded, but I think they'll be okay.

- Rachel Ashwell also posted a video on her FACEBOOK page yesterday.

- I just discovered that our old neighbor’s stepson was supposed to start school on Monday. (He’s 5 or 6 years old). The poor little guy is sick. All during this storm he’s had a fever of 101 and has been throwing up. Thank goodness they’ve kept their electricity so far! (Which is shocking. During Hurricane Ike we all lost electricity for 15 days).

We asked if they could get him to a doctor, but the phones aren’t working well. We never heard back from them. (I do know that the doctor’s office one of our old neighbor's works at is flooded, but I don't think that’s the pediatrician’s office anyway).

- I just heard that the bridge we take into town, to go to the store, was flooded and closed down last night. I doubt it’ll be closed for too long. (Fingers crossed).

I am just flabbergasted over how lucky we were with this thing. I’m grateful.

leaf

It's 5:30 pm and it still hasn't rained again! Double Hooray!

It's cloudy on one side.

end_day_3_2_-_600

And very sunny with blue sky on the other.

end_day_3_600

yay_sun_600

They say more rain is expected over the next few days, but it's not going to be anything like what we've been seeing. To be honest, I doubt it will even rain tonight.

leaf

6:30 pm. I was scrounging in the fridge for a coke, for my headache, when I found an unopened sack of carrots for the neighbor's donkeys! I don't know how we missed them earlier.

The boys were too far away to notice me, but I gave the girls two carrots each. They were so happy!

ttfn_green

13 comments:

  1. Sooooooo happppppy to have heard from you!!!!

    Keep good thoughts, that your luck will hold!!!!!

    And keep updating here, please.

    Thank you.

    Lots of gentle hugs,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristin, I just popped over from Luna Crone's blog to say that I hope you stay safe and sound, and high and dry during the weather event that is "Harvey". I will also add that my favourite movie is a toss up between the Ghost and Mrs Muir and Enchanted April. I enjoyed your INFJ page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sherri! With Harvey.... so far, so good.

    And yes, GAMM is the best! Enchanted April is a good movie, too. Bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YESSS!

    Morning on sunday and you still have power!!!

    YESS!

    Keep staying safe!

    many gentle hugs, Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aug. 27

    6:45pm
    Hooray, you still have power and are not under mandatory evacuation.

    Yes, this is a long rain period in this miserable storm. -sigh-

    Thank you for updating but. Could you make a new post, next time??? That way, it will show up, on top of our Follow Lists? If it is at all possible that is. And the date/time will show, so we can see just when you posted it....

    Stay safe!!!!!!

    Lots of gentle hugs, Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I thought about that but didn't bother because quite honestly I've only got about 2 readers. lol! Call it OCD, but I just prefer keeping it all inside one post. There's no need to check in. We'll continue to be safe. Even I'm not worried about that. We're safe.

    Wet and bored, but safe all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aug. 28

    11:30am

    But you have not checked in here, on Aug. l28th!!!!!!!!

    See, I too am OCD, and I *expect* updates!!! -smmmmmile-

    Keep on being safe!!!!

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kristin, Luna sent me, haaaahaha! I love your pictures and my, what a huge event this storm has been for you all. We had major flooding in South Carolina a few Octobers ago, and our house was spared all but the most insignificant damage. Others did not fare so well. Also, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is definitely one of the best classic films out there. I've watched it too many times to count. I always get tears in my eyes when {spoiler alert, haaha} Lucy stands, whole and beautiful again, and goes out into eternity with her handsome beloved sea captain. I can SO relate, haaha. Also I very much echo your sentiments on the political front. Don't argue with idiots; you get nowhere. Libs are mentally ill. But good luck with the remainder of Harvey, and I can't wait to hear that the donkeys got a square meal. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really do feel very fortunate. We all do. What's happened to Port Aransas/Corpus Christi I expected, but Houston was really knocked off their feet without much of a warning. People not even in a flood plain were drowned out of their homes. It's just so sad.

    Even if this were in California, I'd feel for those people. (Not that I think all of California is like that. I think it's just that the coastal areas are so vocal that they give the entire state a bad name). But yes... don't argue with idiots. That's why I refuse to respond to their hatred. It just bugs the heck out of me when I see people spatting vile remarks and seeing everything as either black or white with no gray areas. Life is a little more complicated than that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OCD ME HERE!!!! GRINNNN

    Oooops, got stuck on Caps! lol anyway glad you are still very well off. Compared to others, for sure.

    Such a crazy statement, by *supposed* Trump supporters. Bet it is a Lib Troll, faking-it as a real Trump supporter! Bahhh-humbug...

    Trying to remember if I have blogged with people near Houston, in the past. Yesterday I was trying to find blogs, I used to follow, who are in TX.....

    Stay safe! Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  11. They weren't a Trump supporter, but that doesn't even matter to me. Heck, there are things about Trump that even I don't like but the man is being so unjustly vilified and I see so many outright lies about him that honestly... it makes me like him even more! lol! It wasn't the Trump mention that bugged me so much. It was that they 1). Were stating false facts/promoting an agenda, and 2). They brought politics into a major disaster. They were putting words into people's mouths when those very people can't defend themselves because they're too busy being stranded on rooftops and trying to keep their children, parents and pets safe. It takes an evil person to put words into the mouths of those that can't defend themselves. I really need to just get over it. I can't believe it bothered me so much, but it just did. Those people could have so easily have been me or members of my own family. No one asked for this to happen and even those that didn't evacuate Houston didn't deserve it. There simply wasn't enough time for all those millions of people to evacuate. We've seen what happens on the roads when too many people panic and evacuate all at once. (I remember it taking my uncle 8 hours to drive 25 miles). Hopefully this will be a learning experience. Thankfully, this storm was not your normal hurricane. I'm not sure we'll see another one like it in our lifetime. I certainly hope not!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aug. 29... 10:42am.... since your weather had cleared, I'm sure you are still ok. Other than the need for caffeine. Hugs... Luna Crone

    Like I said, the Smear is out, on all who back the President. Plain and simple.

    "The Smear: How the Secret Art of Character Assassination Controls What You Think, What You Read, and How You Vote" by Sharyl Attkisson

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love receiving comments on my blog(s), but I do have one simple rule:

- SPAM and anonymous comments will be deleted immediately. If I see any, my magic wand here will carry you off to the hungry crocodile with a taste for ticking clocks and a certain captain with a shiny hooked hand.

As for everyone else, I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my little (although rambling) blog. Be kind to yourself, and in true Disney fashion.... Have a Magical Day!